If you are looking to protect the exterior of your vehicle, then you have two top options: paint protection film and ceramic coating. However, which one of these options is best for your vehicle? Here, we will take a look at both paint protection film and ceramic coating. Then, we’ll talk about the similarities, differences and the benefits of each.
What is paint protection film?
Paint protection film (PPF) is a process where a transparent, urethane material is placed over the exterior of a vehicle. The paint protection film preserves the quality of the vehicle’s paint job and protects it from damage.
What is ceramic coating?
Ceramic coating is a process where the vehicle is coated in a liquid polymer. The polymer chemically bonds with the paint, which makes it harder for contaminants to stick onto and effect the paint.
Both paint protection film and ceramic coating offer many of the features that make it great for the exterior of your vehicle. Here are some of the top similarities:
- Provides a new car appearance – if you want your vehicle to look new for a longer period of
- time then both options will be perfect for you.
- Stops chemical stains – both materials are designed to protect the exterior of your vehicle
- from chemical stains.
- Stops chemical etch marks – you can also prevent chemical etch marks with both options.
- Prevents oxidation of fading – old cars tend to have a faded look over time. That will not
- be the case with both of these options.
- Provides an invisible finish – both paint protection film nor ceramic coating can be seen
- with the naked eye once applied.
- Protects from dust, dirt and debris – both options are great at repelling dust, dirt and
- debris from invading your vehicle’s paint job.
What are the main differences between Paint Protection Paint and Ceramic Coating?
While both paint protection film and ceramic coating pretty much serve the same function, there are some distinct differences between the two. Here’s a look at some of the most important points of distinction.
- Difference in material – with paint protection film, you are applying a film onto the exterior of the vehicle. However, the vehicle’s paint does not bond with the paint protection film like the ceramic coating.
- Different levels of protection – paint protection film is able to protect the vehicle from rock chips, scratches and swirl marks. Ceramic coating does not offer that level of protection.
- Difference in appearance – ceramic coating will typically offer a shiner appearance.
Benefits of Paint Protection Film
Paint protection film offers some unique benefits that may make it a better option for you. For instance, paint protection film can prevent rock chips from damaging the vehicle’s paint. Also, paint protection film can absorb small scratches that you may encounter from time to time. Finally, you will find that paint protection film has a self-healing property that allows it to better protect your vehicle’s paint.
When time comes to wash your vehicle, you will find that paint protection film goes a long way to make your vehicle look its best. For instance, paint protection film can prevent swirl marks and make your exterior look flawless. Not only that, paint protection film can prevent those pesky water spots from forming on your vehicle’s exterior.
Benefits of Ceramic Coating
Ceramic coating also offers a number of unique benefits that make it an attractive choice. First, ceramic coating creates a hydrophobic surface. That means that the coating can resist water from settling onto your vehicle. If you live in an area which gets lots of rain, then this may be a great option for your vehicle. Also, ceramic coating keeps contaminants bird dropping and tree sap from damaging your vehicle’s paint.
You will find that ceramic coating makes the washing and drying process easier. Finally, ceramic coating will enhance the gloss of the vehicle’s exterior and make it appear new for years.
How to maintain your vehicle ceramic coating or paint protection film
When it comes to maintaining your vehicle’s ceramic coating or paint protection film, you will want to follow some simple steps. First you will want to avoid washing your vehicle within seven days after application. That will allow the ceramic coating and paint protection film to settle. When washing the vehicle ensure to avoid using pressure washer on edges. Also, please immediately remove any bird droppings or tree sap stains. That will prevent the contaminants from settling in. Also, avoid using a power buffer which can damage paint protection film. Finally, avoid wiping the vehicle when drying. If you follow these simple steps your vehicle’s exterior will look great for years to come.
Questions to consider when consider paint protection film or ceramic coating
- What’s the weather like where I live?
If you live in an area with lots of precipitation, whether it be rain, sleet or snow, then you may want to consider the hydrophobic properties of ceramic coating.
- How important is the appearance of my vehicle?
If you like to give your vehicle that showroom look for years to come or if you are looking to enter your vehicle into a car show, then you will want to consider ceramic coating.
- How much damage can my vehicle encounter?
If you feel like your vehicle may encounter lots of damage from rock chips and scratches, then you will want to go with paint protection film.
- What if I want to remove the paint protection film or ceramic coating?
If you ever want to consider reversing the process, then paint protection film is the better options since it can be removed.
Get top protection for your vehicle
If you would like paint protection film or ceramic coating for your vehicle, drop by INKAS® Design studio and we will be happy to tell you more about those options. We provide top services from trained technicians with the industry’s leading paint protection film and ceramic coating materials. Contact us today for a fast, free quote.